Some of my themes have been:
Traveler of the day (world music theme)
Citizen of the day (bucket filling character theme)
Superhero of the day (all things superhero)
First Mate (or captain) of the day
A couple of years ago, I went to the local thrift store and found an old tall chair, painted it to make it my music VIP chair. It has been a big hit, but it is getting worn. I plan to repaint it this year to make it beautiful again. Be sure to sand it, put on a couple of coats, and then put a protective coating over it. I used vinyl music notes, but the kids tend to pick those off over time, so I may just get a stencil or freehand it this time. It makes the kids feel so special.
What does my person of the day do?He or she:
1. Gets to sit on the music VIP chair for the class period
2. Gets to get out our behavior incentive chart that goes along with my theme
3. Gets to get unlimited drinks. (I normally only let kids get drinks during a game at the end of class.)
4. Gets to go to the bathroom once without asking (I normally don't let kids go to the bathroom unless it is an emergency.)
5. Gets to be the first person to take a turn for any activity we do (first game leader, etc.)
6. Gets to be the first vocal play leader
7. Gets to wear my costume for the year-
Sheriff of the day(cowboy hat and coat)
Traveler of the day ( Choice of Chinese coat or Mexican poncho)
Citizen of the day (peace sign glasses)
Superhero of the day (cape and superhero masks)
First Mate- I got a pirate hook hand (for only while sitting), an eye patch, and a foam hat from amazon.
I choose my person of the day by pulling a card from the person of the day board. Here is the board for my superhero theme.
Superhero of the Day Bulletin Board
My Citizen of the Day this wore peace sign glasses
Read about some of my themes of the year I have done.
Around the World
Bucket Filler Character Theme
Maybe you can make a special chair for your students to use!