Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Doorbell Rang - introducing sol mi matching and math with Kindergarteners



I am linking up Organized Chaos for a Fermata Friday Linkup.

For years, I have used the book, "The Doorbell Rang" in Kindergarten. It is a very fun book about sharing and math as well. Every time the kids get ready to eat the cookies their mom made, the doorbell rings and they figure out how to share their cookies.



I have the kids just echo me singing ding dong in "sol mi", which can be turned into the actual sol me and hand signs after you learn those. I officially teach sol mi and hand signs in first grade.

Once they get pretty good at singing "ding dong" on pitch as a solo, I bring out resonator bells and each student gets a turn to play them in sol mi order and to sing it with their voice.

After every student gets a turn, I bring in a bag of some small cookies. The students love this and it is a great way to get them singing in a beautiful high voice on pitch. Click below to find the book and then go to Organized Chaos to find more fun posts or to link up with her!  Organized Chaos Fermata Friday

8 comments:

  1. Great idea! I am ordering this book as we speak! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a favorite of my kids and I love hearing their "solos", especially because they don't realize they are doing solos!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this book...looks like a cute way to practice sol-mi! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting the link up!

      Delete
  3. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing :) #fermatafridays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

      Delete
  4. Great way to introduce sol-mi! I may have to get this book to use this spring with my kindergarteners... Thanks for sharing! #fermatafridays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete