I started getting sick yesterday, but my concerts are this afternoon and this evening. Today, I have no voice at all. Since a special presentation of the nutcracker is coming early in January, I will ditch the regular curriculum and do Nutcracker today.
1. Show a 5 minute video of a synopsis of the nutcracker HERE.
2. Show a video of someone playing a celeste for the Sugar Plum Fairy HERE.
3. Read the rhythm of the Sugar Plum Fairy from Tanya LeJeune's Nutcracker pack HERE. Then play the rhythm on triangles along with the video of the Sugar Plum Fairy. I used this with the rhythm with older kids and just had the little kids play triangles along with it. We talked about whether the music was loud or quiet and about how to play quietly. Sugar Plum Fairy video is HERE.
4. If time, use the listening Glyph for Sugar Plum Fairy from Sara Bibee. HERE.
5. Finally, I found this wonderful modern version of the dance of the sugar plum fairy by Pentatonix, the acapella group.