Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Halloween

I have had some fun costumes that are major winners with the kids. Make them easily yourself or get my pieces to use. For Farmer in the Dell, I just wore jeans, a plaid shirt, and a straw famer hat.


For the old lady who swallowed the fly, I bought an inexpensive old lady wig at the party store and found a plain apron at Costco.



I have used the poem "This is a pumpkin Happy for years with old worn out visuals. I just made some new ones and excited to use them with my kindergarteners. I teach about rhyming and emotions with this song.

It has 5 visuals, one for each line of the poem. Cut them out, laminate them, and put craft sticks on. Show them to the students while showing the emotion on your face. Let kids be leaders while they use them and lead the class in the poem as well.

**I just added a small reader, coloring book, and a larger reader.




You can get it HERE.


A fun song to sing at Halloween is "Skin and Bones". All of the students love it and it so fun to introduce to the kindergarteners who love getting surprised at the end of the song. My favorite mentor teacher mentioned that she was interested in using the song for sequencing, and it got my mind going. I am always trying to find ways to bring literacy into my lessons, and this was a natural way to do it. 



I made a promethean board flipchart for using with the group, as well as separate cards that small groups could put in order. I am excited to use it next week. The music is included, as well as .png files, for making a Smartboard chart.

I have them with and without words

Get it HERE.


Some favorite Halloween books:


I made a set of pieces and words to use with the Little Old Lady Who wasn't afraid of anything. 

Get it HERE.

This is a delightful rhyming book.





I have also used a song for 5 little pumpkins for years. I have the kids do the motions and even roll away at the end. I recently made these visuals and added many math and literacy activities.

Get it Here

Eyeball Bingo is a big hit with the older kids and a great review of rhythm.

Get it Here

I just finished a Roll and Cover Musical Halloween activity. It would be great fun and would also work great for a susbstitute.


Get it Here

No comments:

Post a Comment